The other night I made Cold Sesame Peanut Noodles and thought we should eat it with some veggies, so made a crunchy slaw salad. We ended up topping the noodles with the slaw salad for a delicious meal. This is one of those salads that can be made with anything on hand, shredded carrots, cabbage, fennel, Brussels sprouts, broccoli. Any toasted nut works well as a topping. In the recipe, I have suggested peanuts or cashews. It is super quick and easy to make and tastes even better the next day after the slaw soaks up the dressing. For added protein, add some shredded chicken, salmon or beans.
- 6 cups mixed shredded veggies, your choice of cabbage, carrots, fennel, broccoli, Brussels sprouts
- 3 scallion, green part only, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cilantro or mint, chopped
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbs honey
- 1 tbs low sodium soy sauce or GF alternative
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced, or 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs ginger, finely chopped, or 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper or chile flakes or chile paste, add more or less to taste
- toasted sesame seeds
- roasted crushed peanuts or cashews
- chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- lime wedges
- In a large bowl, combine slaw ingredients. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, combine dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over slaw ingredients and toss to combine.
- Divide into serving bowls. Garnish with optional seeds, nuts and herbs