Riced Cauliflower is everywhere, in bags to stir fry and in pizza crust. Though I haven’t seen cauliflower patties in the market so I decided to create a recipe for a riced cauliflower burger.
Often I like to serve veggie burgers in place of meat. These are easy to make, come together quickly and are a nice alternative to a cauliflower crust pizza, riced cauliflower or packaged veggie burgers which all contain added ingredients and fillers, that a homemade burger doesn’t have. In this recipe, it is all vegetables, eggs and seasonings, nothing else. To hold the patties together, I use 100% cauliflower flour or single ingredient cauliflower flour. It is available at specialty markets and Whole Foods. If you cannot find it, leave it out or replace with a gluten free flour or a rice flour if not following a Paleo or Keto diet.
This recipe is versatile, make patties and enjoy as a burger OR roll them into meatballs and top with your favorite sauce.
MAKE IT VEGAN: Substitute the eggs whites with a flax egg or JUST Eggs.
To make a flax egg, combine one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with three tablespoons of water. Mix together, and let sit in your refrigerator for 15 minutes to set up and thicken.
If using JUST Eggs, 3 tablespoon of the liquid equals one egg.
ADD VEGETABLES, FRESH HERBS or NUTS
Add diced bell pepper, chopped celery, onion, parsley, cilantro, or chopped walnuts to the burger mixture.
If you do add fresh herbs, use only one type. More than one would be overpowering.
The Best Cauliflower Burger
- ½ cup cauliflower flour
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbs water
- Heat oven to 400ºF
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Steam cauliflower in bag according to directions or on stovetop until softened. If using whole cauliflower, process florets in food processor until resembles coarse rice and then steam.
- Let cauliflower cool and squeeze out excess liquid
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower flour, riced cauliflower, cheeses, spices and salt until resembles a sticky paste.
- Add egg whites and water and stir to combine. If too dry, add more water, a teaspoon at a time until resembles a thick dough.
- Form into 8 patties and place on baking sheet.
- Bake in center oven for 15-20 minutes until golden, flipping halfway through cooking time.